[from the Web2forDev archives]
Seeking new list software / home
on July 24, 2009
I have encountered problems trying to migrate the "A12n" lists (on "Africanization" of ICT in African languages) to a new home and am investigating alternative possibilities. Basically they were hosted by Kabissa.org when it offered this service. I found the GNU Mailman software they used (with Mhonarc archiving) to be a very satisfactory system. I'm seeking suggestions and am open to experimenting a bit with newer generation software.
- ease of use
- open archives (no log-in to view archives)
- prefer not to go with commercial services such as Yahoogroups or Googlegroups
- prefer not to go with a web forum format that requires one to go to a site to read and post (this would probably rule out Ning & SocialGo)
- would be ideal to combine traditional email list and newer Web 2.0 features
Current options and problems are:
1) GNU Mailman - I don't have the tech background to install this on the Bisharat.net site - basically there are too many small (or not so small) issues that I am not familiar enough to handle without information / explanations that are not available (for newbies)
2) D-Groups - apparently (and puzzlingly) the archives are closed; not sure A12n could be approved anyway
Help needed in identifying other software or hosting options.
TIA for any feedback/ideas.