From: "Donald Z. Osborn"
Subject: African language locales: Call for Volunteers
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:48:19 +0800
(Fwd from the AfricanLanguages list. This is another ANLoc subproject.)
ANLoc, the African Network for Localization, has started an initiative to build locales for over 100 African languages. The project is now ready to line up volunteers.
You can view a presentation about the initiative at:
We are NOT quite ready to begin the technical work for the specific languages, but we ARE in the process of finding volunteers to help out for each language. The main requirements for a volunteer are:
1) literate in the target language
2) comfortable using computers
3) can volunteer about 1 or 2 hours
4) finishes what they start
If you are willing and able to help, please look through these lists of languages, and contact me if you can work on one that does not yet have a volunteer:
- West Africa: http://is.gd/3nJZ
- Nigeria: http://is.gd/3nKk
- Central Africa: http://is.gd/3nHO
- Tanzania and Indian Ocean: http://is.gd/3nJ7
- Great Lakes and Kenya: http://is.gd/3nGQ
- Horn of Africa: http://is.gd/3nJd
- Southern Africa: http://is.gd/3nJj
(Note that we do NOT need volunteers for South Africa, because those languages already have good locales.)
You can also help by letting your colleagues from other African language communities know about the project.
We want to build all of these locales in a few months, so please let me know quickly if you can help out!